What to see in Sicily: Top 20 places not to miss!
What to see in Sicily?
Here's the ranking of the TOP 20 places to visit, recommended by over 400,000 fans of Holidays in Sicily, to help you choose where to go and what to see. Make your choise and than hurry up to book your Villas for rent in Sicily! :-)
We asked the fans of our Facebook page to tell us the places they liked the most during their holidays and after reviewing their recommendations and their responses, we were able to establish a ranking that will be of great help to organize your Tour in Sicily and to start your search for a Villa in Sicily.
Here are the 20 places that you can’t miss!
1) TAORMINA, a small town in the province of Messina, certainly the most well-known tourist destination and an obligatory stop on a holiday in Sicily, thanks to the extraordinary natural resources, monuments and a great historical and cultural value.
2) SYRACUSE, city listed in World Heritage by UNESCO, is probably one of the greatest testimony of historical Mediterranean civilizations.
3) ERICE and TRAPANI, located in the western part of the island, combining the charm of history and nature with one of the best views in the world.
4) PALERMO, capital of the region and its seaside resort, Mondello, are probably the synthesis of Sicily, offering history, culture, traditions, nature and high quality travel services.
5) The archaeological site of the VALLE DEI TEMPLI (UNESCO World Heritage Site), near Agrigento, which is one of the most important archaeological sites in the world, and the SCALA DEI TURCHI, a spectacular white cliff near Realmonte.
6) Mount ETNA (UNESCO World Heritage Site), the largest active volcano in Europe, able to offer unique scenery and landscapes, both in summer and in winter, a few kilometers from Catania and Taormina.
8) CEFALU’, one of the major beach towns in Sicily, among other things, part of Parco delle Madonie and included in the club of the most beautiful villages in Italy (Wikipedia).
9) The triangle of south-eastern Sicily a few kilometers that combines the beauty of the capital of Baroque, NOTO (UNESCO World Heritage), the wonderful Nature Reserve of VENDICARI and the charm of the small village of MARZAMEMI.
10) The spectacular coastline that runs from SAN VITO LO CAPO, through the wonder of the ZINGARO NATURE RESERVE, continues to the picturesque CASTELLAMMARE DEL GOLFO, including its famous village, SCOPELLO.
11) The AEOLIAN ISLANDS (UNESCO World Heritage), an archipelago off the north coast of Sicily, in the area of Milazzo, consisting of 7 small islands connected by small boats, guarantee of absolutely unique holidays by the sea. (Lipari, Salina, Panarea, Stromboli, Vulcano, Alicudi and Filicudi).
13) At the foot of Mount Etna, the city of CATANIA (UNESCO World Heritage) is one of the most effervescent and dynamic places of the whole island, for the beautiful historic city center and the stunning coast of the sea where stands ACITREZZA .
14) In the heart of the hinterland, in the center of the island, the spectacular mosaics of the VILLA ROMANA DEL CASALE and CALTAGIRONE, both UNESCO World Heritage Site, are evidence of what Sicily has to offer even far from the sea.
15) Sicily also offers a real natural Canyon, the GOLE DELL'ALCANTARA, a true spectacle of nature, one of a kind!
16) The wonderful island of LAMPEDUSA, south of the coast of Agrigento, part of the Pelagie Islands in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, offers the opportunity of a holiday rich of sea and relaxation.
17) SELINUNTE is another huge archaeological testimony, with one of the largest parks in Europe, located in the province of Trapani.
18) MONREALE, known worldwide for its beauty and for its unique cathedral, with its different flavors and mosaics of rare beauty.
19) Located in the Gulf of Patti, TINDARI is one of the tourist destinations for excellence in Sicily, combining once again the spectacle of nature and charm of the history.
20) In the heart of the Mediterranean, closer to Africa than to Sicily, PANTELLERIA is a small island famous for its beautiful sea, the typical Dammusi and the Scirocco that caresses the soul.
Do you desire to leave immediately? SICILY IS WAITING FOR YOU!
Start your Holiday finding a beautiful Villa in Sicily on www.isulasicilia.com